Antiseptics And Disinfectants Industry Overview
The global antiseptics and disinfectants market size is anticipated to reach USD 63.1 billion by 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 10.1% from 2022 to 2030. Key factors driving the market expansion include technological advancements in antiseptics and disinfectants along with increasing use of endoscope reprocessors and surgical units. The current COVID-19 outbreak is expected to have a substantial impact on the market. The pandemic has resulted in a significant surge in demand for emergency supplies, hospital equipment, medicines, and medical disposables. According to Eurostat in 2020, extra-EU exports and imports of COVID-19 related products increased by 5.5 % and 10.4 % respectively, compared to 2019.
Antiseptics And Disinfectants Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global antiseptics and disinfectants market on the basis of type, product, sales channel, end-use, and region:
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, Chlorine Compounds, Alcohols & Aldehyde Products, Enzyme, Others.
- The quaternary ammonium compounds segment held the largest revenue share of 31.4% in 2021 and is expected to witness considerable growth over the forecast period.
- Quaternary ammonium compounds are widely used as surface disinfectants in hospitals and laboratories. These compounds aid in controlling the spread of healthcare-associated infections in hospitals and clinics.
- The rising incidence of hospital-acquired infections across the globe is likely to positively impact the segment growth. For instance, as per WHO, every year, 7 out of every 100 hospitalized patients in industrialized nations and 10 out of every 100 hospitalized patients in underdeveloped countries acquire at least one healthcare-associated infection.
- The enzyme segment is anticipated to witness the fastest growth rate over the forecast period. Generally, enzyme-based antiseptics and disinfectants are used to control odors that are created by chemical processes.
- The demand for these items is predicted to rise as the number of research facilities grows as a result of increased R&D spending around the world.
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Enzymatic Cleaners, Medical Device Disinfectants, Surface Disinfectants.
- The medical device disinfectants segment held the largest revenue share of 45.7% in 2021. Medical device disinfectants are generally used for reprocessing surgical units and endoscopes.
- Glutaraldehyde, phenol/phenate, hydrogen peroxide, and peracetic acid are some of the disinfectants used for reprocessing/disinfection of medical devices. Proper reprocessing of medical devices and endoscopes is essential as they transmit infection from one patient to another due to direct contact with skin.
- The enzymatic cleaners segment is anticipated to witness the fastest growth rate over the forecast period. Enzymatic cleaners are more efficient on bacterial surfaces and are commonly used to avoid odor. It's commonly used to disinfect testing kits and surgical equipment in clinics and hospitals.
Based on the Sales Channel Insights, the market is segmented into B2B, FMCG.
- The B2B segment dominated the market for antiseptics and disinfectants and held the largest revenue share of 65.1% in 2021.
- B2B sales channels usually have longer sales cycles and higher-order values. B2B sales channel is expected to witness a low growth rate during the forecast period owing to entry barriers in the B2B business, which include a lack of investment to develop technologically advanced products and challenges pertaining to coordinating with various vendors.
- Medical device disinfectants, enzymatic cleaners, and surface disinfectants are major antiseptics and disinfectants marketed under the B2B sales channel. Hospitals, clinics, healthcare providers, and suppliers are major end-users of the B2B sales channel.
- The FMCG distribution channel comprises three major entities: agents, facilitators, and merchants. Agents generally generate sales by promoting the products of the company. Agents can be a member of the company or independent individuals.
- Facilitators are generally involved in the transportation of manufactured goods from one place to another. Warehouse owners, logistic services, and independent types are included under the facilitator’s category. Wholesalers and retailers are generally categorized under the merchant’s category. Consumers generally purchase FMCG products directly from retailers and wholesalers.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into Hospitals, Clinics, Others.
- The hospital segment dominated the market for antiseptics and disinfectants and accounted for a revenue share of 46.2% in 2021. The increasing incidence of hospital-acquired infections across the globe is one of the major reasons for segment growth over the forecast period.
- For instance, as per Eurostat, Germany, and France, had the highest healthcare expenditure (around 11.8%) in GDP in 2019. Thus, such factors are expected to propel segment growth over the forecast period.
- The increasing number of surgical procedures and hospitals will be important drivers of the segment's growth. To maintain a healthy atmosphere in the clinic, basic sanitation and hygiene are required.
Antiseptics And Disinfectants Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Key players are involved in adopting strategies such as mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and launching new products to strengthen their foothold in the market for antiseptics and disinfectants. Key players are entering into mergers and acquisitions to increase their market share and customer base across the globe.
Some prominent players in the global antiseptics and disinfectants market include
- Reckitt Benckiser
- Steris Plc
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Bio-Cide International, Inc.
- Cardinal Health
- Johnson & Johnson
Order a free sample PDF of the Antiseptics And Disinfectants Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519